As for me, I know of nothing else but miracles. - Walt Whitman

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

There Is a Family I'd Like You to Meet......Vitaly's!!!

Ok, so you all remember this little guy, right?

And how he came to us for Christmas and stayed for a month and blessed us and changed our lives and became a part of our family and then went back to his orphanage in Ukraine? Well, as I mentioned before, Vitaly has a family! (Even though he doesn't know it yet). Today, I am honored to introduce you to them.....please meet the Selman family! Here is what April, Vitaly's mom, has to say:

Well....we are adopting again.  Two precious boys who live in Ukraine.  They are 10 and 11 years old and they stole our hearts 15 months ago.  In December, 2011, we had started the process to adopt them just days before I got my diagnosis of stage 3 metastatic melanoma.  That was such a shock to us and we put the adoption on hold to give us time to get our bearings and to get me through my surgery and the 12 months of treatment.  In anticipation of me finishing up the treatment this month, we restarted the process a while ago.  We felt and still feel that God is calling us to adopt the boys and are stepping out in faith and welcoming the boys into our family.  We know many people will think we are crazy.  Melanoma is a scary and unpredictable cancer.  I know of people who have only lived for a few months after diagnosis and I know of people who are alive years after their diagnosis.  But, really, none of us knows how long we have on this earth.  We do know, if these boys are not adopted, that they will face a very bleak future.  For now, I am NED (no evidence of disease) and we feel like we are the family for them.  We do not know how it will all work out, but we do not have to know.  Please pray for us and for the boys as we move forward.

Now let me back us with our story for those of you who do not know us well.  Scott and I have been married for more than 20 years.  We have four biological kids, ages 18, 19, 20, and 24.  We homeschooled all of them and loved most every minute of it.  In 2009, Scott and I began to feel called to more than what we were doing.  We prayed and sought God's will and felt led to fostering children.  We have since decided God only gives you tidbits of His plan at a time, probably because we can not handle the entire picture all at once!  So our plan was to foster, loving and caring for the children until their families were prepared to take them back.  NO intentions of adopting and starting over!  In February, 2010, we got the call about Jocelyn and Ellie Grace.  They came to us at 3 1/2 years and 5 days old.  In July, 2012, we finalized their adoption.  They have truly been such a blessing to our family.

We are nervous and excited at the same time at the prospect of adding two more children...but mostly excited.  They will make 8 children for us, hence the name of the blog (onourwayto8).  Pictures are coming - when I figure out this whole blogging thing.  Thanks for your prayers for us and for the boys.

To those of you who have followed Vitaly's story, could you do me a favor? Could you head on over to the Selman family's blog (click here) and leave them a comment of encouragement? I'm sure they would appreciate it, and I know that some day Vitaly will love looking back and reading messages from people who loved him and enjoyed following his story. Thank you so much! Let's keep them in our prayers as they work to bring these dear boys home!!!

2 comments:

  1. Very exciting! Look forward to seeing God's hand continue in Vitaly's journey - as well as your own family's journey!

    ReplyDelete