As for me, I know of nothing else but miracles. - Walt Whitman

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Our Trip to Ethiopia, Day 6

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

I was sick with the stomach flu today, so I stayed in my bed at the Ember guest house while everyone else went to Hana school for the day. The team's tasks were tearing down 2 walls between classrooms to make a bigger space for a library and demolishing an old, condemned lavatory on the premises.

The older classes are held in these newer buildings.

This picture shows the condemned lavatory on the left and classrooms for younger children on the right.

The inside of the lavatory. I will spare you the actual photos of the toilets themselves, as they were just holes in the ground that were overflowing with waste. 

The floor was rotten in places, and children were in danger of falling through the holes.

The outside of the bathroom.

Classrooms for younger children. Many of the buildings leak when it rains, so nothing stays dry.

The school hopes to be able to erect some new buildings in the future.

The community around the school:

Here is where the children get water:

Starting to tear down the classroom walls:

Everyone took a turn using the sledgehammers.

A nice space for a new library:

At lunch time, the team came back to the guest house to see if I wanted to join them for lunch at Kaldi's, but I couldn't. I had tried to get ready for the day, but started throwing up and went back to bed. After lunch, the team continued work at the school. Wass tied himself to the outside of the top story of the building and began to throw down the pieces of cement from the walls that the team had demolished inside.

Along came a cement truck, which got stuck in the mud. So the team used the pieces of cement from the demolished walls to build a road so the truck could get out. The guys were jacks-of-all-trades today!

Meanwhile, the crew we hired to help on the lavatory project kept busy.

Taking a break:

The girls soccer team came to the school in the afternoon to practice, so Jessica got her run in by leading the team in laps around the field.

The team came back at the end of the afternoon, and I was feeling a little better. After everyone else ate dinner, some of them walked to the Safeway grocery store for a few items. Then, we had devotions and headed to bed. I was a little worried that I wouldn't sleep well since I had slept all day, but I was blissfullly unconscious all night long.

No comments:

Post a Comment