As for me, I know of nothing else but miracles. - Walt Whitman

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Depraved Indifference

I know that many of you have already watched this video. But it touches my heart in a new way every time I see it. I was reading an article this week about the horrific things taking place over in Sudan. Someone asked me the question, "Why do you even read these things? Why would you even want to know about it?" My answer: because I DON'T want to suffer from depraved indifference. We are the hands and feet of Jesus, after all, to a dark and sinful world. I want to be able to pray for those poor orphans who are being tortured and brutalized. I want to be able to pray for those who are doing the torturing and brutalizing. How can I make a difference if I don't know? Or if I plug my ears or put blinders on and PRETEND I don't know?

We have also had some people wonder why on earth we are adopting when we have 4 children of our own. This video answers that question as well.

"If thou sayest, Behold, we knew it not; doth not he that pondereth the heart consider it? and he that keepeth thy soul, doth not he know it? and shall not he render to every man according to his works?" Proverbs 24:12

2 comments:

  1. Amen, Sister! Although, I do have to admit, that I was physically ill after reading that article, and I couldn't make it through the first time. Then, I was reminded to pray for the people committing the violence in the first place...that they themselves are reacting to the violence in their own pasts, and in many cases truly don't know any better. This is all they have known for as far back as they can remember - aaaaahhhhhh!!! That is so convicting to me - shades of "The Hiding Place" all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN!!!!! This video really reaches deep down in me. I don't know who can watch it and be the same......
    The Sudan.......rips my heart out and dissects it! There is no way to describe that kind of horror!

    I thank God that people adopt after having children- who else will care for these beautiful children??? What if the world said- don't worry about it...not my problem I can get pregnant? Where would all of our precious children find a home? Where could they seek refuge?

    ReplyDelete