As for me, I know of nothing else but miracles. - Walt Whitman

Friday, December 21, 2012

A Language Barrier is a Funny Thing.....

Jalen and Jordan think it's hilarious when Vitaly speaks in Russian. How soon they have forgotten that just a few short months ago, they were in his shoes! We couldn't understand their Amharic and Anuak, either, but now the concept seems foreign to them.

We find ourselves using charades, fake accents, Spanish, Amharic, Anuak, loud voices, and lots of grunts to get our points across to Vitaly. Not that any of those help much! Some of us even use baby talk, and my dear husband (wow, do I love that man! I am so glad he has the next 2 weeks off of work, or else I'd most likely go insane!) even types in baby talk into the translator app on the phone! Ha! It is so frustrating, amusing, and exhausting trying to communicate.......and then I find myself using the same charades, accents, and baby talk with the other kids, who obviously already know English very well! I'm not sure that I'll have too many brain cells left by the end of the month......... :-)

Why did all those Babel people decide to build a tower to the heavens, anyway??? Thank goodness for Google translate!


1 comment:

  1. It is SO hard to have a language barrier!! I'm loving all of the updates!

    ReplyDelete