As for me, I know of nothing else but miracles. - Walt Whitman

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Selam. Dehna nesh? Dehna negn.

That says, "Hello. How are you? I'm fine," in Amharic, the language that our child from Ethiopia will most likely know. It is the most popular language in Ethiopia, and is used at Hannah's Hope, our agency's transition home. My sister gave me an Amharic language CD, and although I haven't been as faithful in learning it as I should be, I do know a few random words here and there. I can count to 20, and know some names of colors and different foods. Somehow, though, I don't think counting to 20 is going to get me very far - I need to learn how to say, "I love you", "You are beautiful", "I'm so glad that I get to be your mama", "God loves you", and "I will be here for you, no matter what." I need to learn how to say, "It is OK to grieve", "I understand that you miss your family/caregivers", and "I can't imagine the pain and hurt you are going through right now, but with God's grace I'll try to be the very best mama for you that I can be." Learning, "Here are your brothers and sisters, grandmothers and grandfathers, aunts and uncles, and many, many cousins" probably wouldn't hurt either, as well as, "Welcome to your forever family. We love you so very, very much and are so thankful that you're here at last!"

 I get a little nervous when I think about the language barriers, but hopefully we will be able to communicate in other ways, too. I do know that God is faithful, and has already taken care of every little detail for us - all we need to do is trust!

Have a wonderful day!

1 comment:

  1. It will be a challenge, no doubt. But I think love speaks volumes! =) Impressed that you are learning the language already...I should do that too. Even though we are adopting an infant, I think a familiar language could be soothing to her.

    ReplyDelete